Since its launch in 2016 by the Institut français d’Écosse, le Concours de la francophonie, a national school competition to encourage all young French learners and their teachers around Scotland enjoying French language, has been a great way of celebrating the international day of la francophonie. In 2023, over 500 pupils from 25 schools all over Scotland took part in the competition.
Throughout the years, many schools across Scotland have taken part in the competition and we hope to receive great entries this year again.
Who can take part? All Scottish primary and secondary schools offering French may enter this competition by submitting a short video of a classroom activity in French.
The level of French will be adapted to age, stage and level. We will also value the participation of ALL learners in the class and the creativity of the piece. In primary school, you may want to film a regular activity in French where children are actively playing and having fun in learning or speaking French. In secondary school, young people need to show their communication skills in French, so songs are not accepted.
The theme of the competition this year is: “Paris Olympic Games 2024: Ouvrons grand les jeux!”
For the 2024 edition, we are delighted to have Ms Maria Lyle, famous Scottish parasport athlete as a sponsor ! Maria has kindly accepted to attend the Prize giving ceremony so all winners have a chance to meet with her and share their passion for sport !
Criteria of selection:
- In order to determine the winners in each category, the members of the panel will look especially at:
- Respect of the theme “Paris Olympic games 2024”
- Quality of expression
- Quality of pupils’ involvement
For the winning learners in each category:
- first prize in each category: invitation to attend a special French immersion day at the Institut français d’Écosse on Friday 22 March 2024 to celebrate the international day of la francophonie in the presence of Maria Lyle! Transport for the entire classroom will be offered. Winners will take part in French workshops and will receive a selection of French books, games for the class and goodies.
- second prize in each category: a selection of French books, games for the class and goodies.
For teachers in each category (8 in total):
A 15 hours (10 session of 1.5 hrs) online training course worth £170.00 to be taken between April and June 2024.